Do you want to install LineageOS 18.1 Android 11 on your Android smartphone? If yes, then you have stumbled upon the right page. Here I am going to share a thoroughly written guide on how to install LineageOS 18.1 Android 11 on any device.
In addition to that, we will also discuss a few things about this Android 11 based release of LineageOS. So, without any further ado, let’s get started-
- What is LineageOS 18.1?
- How to install LineageOS 18.1 on any Android device
- Closing Comments
What is LineageOS 18.1?
LineageOS is one of the most popular custom ROM available on the internet that can be downloaded and installed on a wide range of Android devices. This custom ROM is primarily based on Google’s AOSP, and due to that, it offers a stock Android experience.
However, the LineageOS has always been a feature-rich ROM, and therefore, when you install it on your Android smartphone, you will get your hands on a bunch of additional features that cannot be seen on stock Android.
Overall, you can say that LineageOS is a feature-rich custom ROM that makes a perfect balance between device stability and features. It is the main reason LineageOS is so popular among Android developers and tech enthusiasts.
LineageOS 18.1 is the latest released stable version by the developers. It is based on Android 11, which is right now the latest officially released Android version. This newest release of ROM is going to revive many age-old Android devices with the latest generation OS, including OnePlus One, Nexus 7, Poco F1, and others.
Unfortunately, LineageOS 18.1 is only available for 60 devices now, but more devices will be added soon, according to their official blog. Developers are continuously working to make it available for more and more devices. Therefore, if your device is not on the list yet, then don’t worry. Just keep patience, and LineageOS 18.1 will be available for your device soon.
This custom ROM is based on Android 11’s March 2021 security patch. Furthermore, there are many other things included, such as Wi-Fi display for Qualcomm devices, improved in-built recorder, and Android WebView has been updated to Chromium 89.0.4389.105 to prevent apps from crashing.
You can find more detailed information about LineageOS 18.1 features in the features section below. But before that, here is the list of all the devices that are eligible to get the latest LineageOS 18.1.
LineageOS 18.1 Android 11 official build supported devices
As per the official source, these are the devices that will receive the latest LineageOS 18.1-
- Essential PH-1 Mata
- F(x)tec Pro1
- Google Nexus 6
- Google Nexus 7 2013 (Wi-Fi, Repartitioned)
- Google Pixel 2
- Google Pixel 2 XL
- Google Pixel 3a
- Google Pixel 3a XL
- Google Pixel 4
- Google Pixel 4 XL
- Google Pixel 4a
- Google Pixel 4a XL
- Google Pixel 4a 5G
- Google Pixel 5
- LeEco Le Max2
- LeEco Le Pro3/ Le Pro3 Elite
- LG G2 (AT&T)
- LG G2 (Canadian)
- LG G2 (International)
- LG G2 (T-Mobile)
- LG G5 (International)
- LG G5 (T-Mobile)
- LG G5 (US Unlocked)
- LG V20 (AT&T)
- LG V20 (Global)
- LG V20 (Sprint)
- LG V20 (T-Mobile)
- LG V20 (US Unlocked)
- LG V20 (Verizon)
- Motorola Moto G6 Plus
- Motorola Moto G7
- Motorola Moto G7 Play
- Motorola Moto G7 Plus
- Motorola Moto G7 Power
- Motorola Moto One Power
- Motorola Moto X4
- Motorola Moto Z2 Force
- Motorola Moto Z3 Play
- Nextbit Robin
- Nokia 6.1 (2018)
- OnePlus One
- OnePlus 3 / 3T
- OnePlus 5
- OnePlus 5T
- OnePlus 8
- OnePlus 8 Pro
- OnePlus 8T
- Razer Phone
- Samsung Galaxy D4 (GT-19505/G, SGH-I337M, SGH-M919)
- Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545)
- Samsung Galaxy S4 (SCH-R970, SPH-L 720)
- Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Value Edition (GT-19515/L)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (Wi-Fi)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (LTE)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (Wi-Fi)
- Sony Xperia 10
- Sony Xperia 10 Plus
- Sony Xperia XA2
- Sony Xperia XA2 Plus
- Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra
- Xiaomi Mi 5
- Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus
- Xiaomi Mi 8
- Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
- Xiaomi Mi MIX
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2
- Xiaomi Poco F1
- Xiaomi Redmi 7
These are the devices that are now eligible to install LineageOS 18.1 Android 11. If you manage to find your device on this list, you can proceed further with this article to learn how to install LineageOS 18.1 Android 11 on your smartphone.
Features of LineageOS 18.1
LineageOS 18.1 has got several exciting features and enhancements from Android 11 AOSP. Some of the remarkable features of LineageOS 18.1 are mentioned below-
- LineageOS 18.1 is based on the Pixel series’ android-11.0.0_r32 tag, and it has security patches merged into it from April 2020 to March 2021.
- Newer Qualcomm-based devices will get the Wi-Fi display function.
- To avoid app crashes, WebView has been updated to Chromium 89.0.4389.105.
- The default Recorder app has been improved a lot in terms of UI and features.
- It comes with the ETAR calendar instead of the AOSP calendar, which has been forked and improved to add functionality and offer an AOSP calendar experience.
- The FOSS SeedVault application now offers a built-in backup option that can be directly uploaded to NextCloud or kept in local storage.
- Non-A/B devices can now update the recovery image alongside the OS directly from settings just like the stock OS would.
- Eleven Now, the music app has got a more up-to-date user interface and a lot of other cool features.
- The dark mode is now available for the LineageOS apps.
- LineageOS recovery has got a new colorful UI that looks very cool and is much more accessible.
- The firewall allows you to block internet connections for specific applications by making the app believe that the smartphone is in airplane mode.
- The default screenshot function now comes with more additional features that tie in with AOSP’s “instant screenshot” feature.
- Trebuchet now supports icon packs.
- The new expandable volume dialog UI has been introduced.
- ADB root has been forked to ensure and enhance compatibility with other third-party root applications.
How to install LineageOS 18.1 on any Android device
So, here we come to the installation guide of LineageOS 18.1 Android 11. But before proceeding with the installation, make sure to follow these prerequisites-
- Your device must have an unlocked bootloader.
- Your device must have a custom recovery installed.
- Make sure to create a backup of all your data. It is always recommended to factory reset a smartphone before installing a new ROM.
- Make sure your smartphone is charged to at least 50% or above.
- Make sure your smartphone has the latest firmware installed.
- LineageOS 18.1
- TWRP Recovery
- Google Apps
If your smartphone doesn’t have an unlocked bootloader and custom recovery installed, you can follow the below-mentioned guides to achieve that. Do note that a few steps may vary depending on the device you have, but the main procedure would be the same.
Unlock the bootloader
To install LineageOS 18.1 on your Android smartphone, you will be required to have the unlocked bootloader. If your device already has the unlocked bootloader, then you can skip this section. Otherwise, I highly suggest you follow this guide to learn how to unlock the bootloader on an Android smartphone.
Install custom recovery (TWRP)
After unlocking the bootloader, another most important thing to do is installing a custom recovery. If your device already has any custom recovery installed, then you can skip this section. But if you don’t have any custom recovery installed, then you custom install TWRP custom recovery. It is one of the best custom recoveries out there, and we are also going to use it in this guide.
Follow this guide to learn how to install TWRP recovery on Android smartphones.
Install LineageOS 18.1 Android 11 on any Android smartphone
Before proceeding with the installation, make sure that you have created a complete backup of your current device and have downloaded your device compatible LineageOS 18.1 ROM, Lineage Recovery img, Latest Magisk Apk, and Google Apps Installer on your smartphone.
If you have done that, follow these simple steps-
- Transfer all the above-mentioned downloaded files to your phone’s internet storage.
- Reboot your smartphone into recovery mode. You can do that by turning off your smartphone and then press and hold volume up + power on button simultaneously for a couple of seconds.
- Now, go to the Wipe menu and select the Advanced WIPE option.
- On the Advanced WIPE option, you have to ensure that you have checked the partition system, data, vendor, cache, and Dalvik cache option, and after that, you have to use the “Swipe to wipe” option.
- After that, get back to the TWRP menu page and select the Install option.
- Here, you need to flash the Lineage Recovery img.
- Once the Lineage Recovery image successfully gets flashed, you need to reboot into the Lineage Recovery.
- Now again, select the Install option and then choose the LineageOS 18.1 ROM zip file and “swipe right” to confirm flash.
- After that, if you see a “No OS Installed” warning, follow the last step again. Otherwise, you can reboot your device.
The rebooting process may take a bit longer than usual. Just keep patience and wait for your smartphone to reboot properly. After that, enjoy using LineageOS 18.1 on your Android smartphone.
After that, if you want to install GApps and Magisk on your smartphone, then follow these simple steps-
- Go to custom recovery again and select the Install option.
- Next, choose the Android 11 Google Apps package and swipe right to install.
- Now again, go back to the recovery menu and select the install option.
- This time, select the Magisk installer and, again, swipe right to install.
- After that, reboot your smartphone.
That’s it. After rebooting, you will be able to use GApps and Magisk on your Android smartphone.
Video Guide to learn How to Install LineageOS 18.1 Android 11
There you have it – a step-by-step guide on how to install LineageOS 18.1 Android 11 on any Android smartphone.
Installing a custom ROM is not rocket science. You just need to take certain steps, and you will be able to easily flash a custom ROM like LineageOS 18.1 on your Android device. That said, if you fail to understand any steps or just don’t follow them properly, then it may become risky. Therefore, carefully understand each step before performing them.
With that said, here I am wrapping up. I hope you find this article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them in the comment section below. Our team will try to respond to all the comments ASAP.